Re: [OM] OM2 w T-32 was (Fwd) OM-2 Meter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2 w T-32 was (Fwd) OM-2 Meter
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:05:18 +0100
At 10:37 18/10/99 EDT, Pauls0627@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I always thought that the early OM-2 models were centerweighted when
>measuring off the curtain, and full frame averaging when metering off the
>film. So as shutter speeds got longer the amount of center weighting
>gradually diminished. With the change to the new curtain pattern I thought
>the center weighting was somehow built in to the way the photo cells read
teh
>light, so there is the same amount of center weighting at all shutter speeds.

It occurs to me that there is another aspect to this - in manual mode don't
the OM-2 and 2n use a different meter altogether, in the prism like the
OM-1?  So this business of shutter-curtain patterns presumably only matters
in auto mode.

Photodiodes, like most sensors, have a sensitivity which varies according
to the angle of incidence of the light, so if the metering diode has a
fairly narrow acceptance angle then the metering will be centre-weighted,
to some extent regardless of the pattern on the curtain.

Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx