Re: [OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 02:06:10 -0400
Mike,

I have found lens speed always advantagous.  I'd never consider using lenses
slower than f/4 for any racing applications.  My workhorse glass for
motorsport is a Tokina AT-X 300 f/2.8, Tokina AT-X 80-200 f/2.8 and a Zuiko
1.4 t/c.  They do not accept the 2X convertors graciously.  This gives a
total range from 80 - 420mm with just three pieces to lug around.  (I also
generally take a 35-80 f/2.8 Zuiko and a 21mm f/2 Zuiko and two or three
bodies)  The f/2.8 max aperture gives a very bright focus screen, further
enhanced with 2-series OM screens or Beattie Intenscreens.  Makes focus very
accurate.

Yes, the 300 is heavy.  Especially toward the end of a long weekend when
you've been humping doubletime from one ond of the track to the other.  But
I do not consider it hard to hand hold all day long.  Sure, your arm gets a
little tired, and it makes the 80-200 feel feather light when you switch,
but it is doable.  The results are excellent.

I bought mine new 10 years ago for $1600.  I recently saw one available in
9+ condition for $1900 firm on rec.photo.marketplace.  My guess is the
seller will deal, regardless of the "firm" part posted.  Make sure to get
the case (well built, massive), metal hood, protective leather-like
drawstring pouch (sort of like an internal bag, also used as the lens cap)
and the 112mm front filter; it was included in the original package.  Also
double check to make certain the drop filter is in place.  These fall out,
leaving a rather large hole in the top of the lens barrel.