Re: [OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:02:35 -0500
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:37:49 -0700 Motor Sport Visions Photography
<msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> First off, would the fixed Zuiko 300 f4.5 be that much better than
> the
> Tamron SP 60-300 I have now at 300mm?
> Worth the loss of ability to carry
> one lens that covers such a vast range (which I would have to
> continue
> to carry for that purpose anyway, along with another body no doubt.)

The 300/4.5 would probably be better at 300, but I can't say for sure as
I don't own one.  I do own and have used the Tamron 60-300 for
motorsports also.....really a very good lens for the range it covers.

Might I suggest something I'm trying out this season, so far
successfully.  I go to the track with  a 24/2.8, a 100/2.8, a 135/2.8,
and a 180/2.8.  Add to that a 2x  converter and I have a 48/5.6 (works,
but hardly ever use this focal length at the track), a 200/5.6, a
270/5.6, and a 360/5.6!  Slower, but not at all unusable with 100 ASA
film.  When you pan, the 5.6 aperture gives you a longer shutter speed to
"blur" the background and the wheels with, let's you show "motion"
better.  (There's not much I dislike more than a photo of a race car on
the track where you can literally count the spokes, looks like its
parked, need to see those wheels are turning!)

Sometimes I do miss the convenience of the zoom, but on the other hand,
since I started changing lenses instead of zooming, I feel my composition
and timing have improved considerably.  I also get better contrast with
the Zuiko's than with the Tamron.

I won't say I wouldn't like to have the faster long lenses in the
arsenal, but there are other wants that are higher on the list right now.
 ;-)

FWIW
Daryl Hurley