Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out w...
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:21:06 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: John Petrush <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, October 02, 1999 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is
coming out w...

Dear Mike ,

Thanks to Barry and other's I finally ordered an EOS 1n (brand new)  I
called Cambridge Camera and ordered.  They took all the info , credit card
etc , etc. first because they wont answer questions on price.

I said I wanted to purchase the Canon EOS 1n for 959.50 advertised price.
They said OK ," would you like the US warranty".  I said: "excuse me"?  He
mentioned something about Grey market from Japan and it not being as good as
the USA version.  I got scared and he tried to talk me into the US version
at higher price.  I said no.  He then said I had to make a long distance
call to cancel my order.  I said no! ,  we never agreed.  To make a long
story short he would not relent and hung up on me.  So , I do not know what
will happen.

I called Camera World of Oregon and ordered the EOS 1n for $1,149.00 and I
get $150.00 rebate by Canon.  I have an EOS to Olympus adapter so I can
still use my lenses , but eventually I plan on getting some auto-focus
lenses.

I really care and wrote a very long letter to Olympus a couple of years ago
stating the fact that there is a very large crowd of Loyal Olympus users out
there sticking with the brand in hopes of Olympus coming out with something
to compete with the Auto-focus camera.  They never responded , but came out
with the OM-2000.  I would like to think that my letter was instrumental ,
because I mentioned: , at least come out with a low end student camera
w/manual focus to at least grab some market share and to also satisfy the
hard core users'.

At the begining of the year (with other letter), I also mentioned that they
should advertise tie-in products to the Older Olympus camera's because of
the cyclical nostalgia that has been going on.  I mentioned ebay and the
demand.  A short time latter the came out with an AD with the guy holding
the OM-1.  Perhaps it is coincidental , but I would like to think that my
letter and others included made the difference.  The people in charge of
product development and consumer realations forward this information.  So ,
it is very important that everyone take the time and write a letter.

I metioned to them that I would be patient and was confident that they would
come out with something in auto-focus directed toward the Pro-market.  I
would like to think they will.

I respect the hardcore user's opinions that want to remain with the same.
Like the 56 Chevy or Richard Petty's race care in the early 70's.
But you have to keep up with change and competition or you get passed up.
Olympus is investing so much money in digital , to where you can already see
, when something comes out , it's already old technology. (Like computers)

So , please if you care , write to Olympus Tokoyo and America and voice your
concern.  If they fail to respond to the user's want's , user's will switch.

I gurantee it... Sam...

>Mike Veglia of Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:>
>
>...... But, when I am typically the only guy out
>> there working on the wall of a race track shooting with "antiques" one
>> has to think that most of the working professionals think differently.
>> As long as the clients who publish and purchase my work like it (they
>> could care less what I captured the images with...) I see no reason for
>> change. If I had critical week to week publication assignments and
>> deadlines I would think differently on equipment and prolly be using
>> C*n*n.
>>
>I have made it a point to observe what the real pros (Sports Illustrated,
>Winston Cup Scene, Associated Press, etc.) use at races (all NASCAR and
>IHRA).  It's all Nikon and Canon.  Sometimes one notices my Oly gear and we
>talk about them.  Universally there is a respect for the Olympus brand for
>compactness, innovation, quality and ruggedness.  Many of these guys carry
>hand-held meters and shoot in manual mode for both exposure and focus.
They
>stake out positions and anticipate the "moment" - hard to do with subjects
>at 160 MPH.  A small percentage, I'd guess around 10-15%, use older models
>(Nikon F's or Canon F1's) that are all metal, heavy, very stout and *only*
>manual.  No wonderbricks for them.  They tend to be the older guys (like me
><g>).
>
>> In other words, I could care less what Olympus used for the body
>> material so long as it holds up to the rigors of hard use in the field.
>> What I would like to see is for them to continue to offer what is still
>> one of the best internal metering systems available, continue to develop
>> and add to this a high speed AF series of lenses and bodies. I don't see
>> that happening anytime soon.
>>
>Agreed.  For as long as they do the job and/or can be repaired, OM works
for
>me.  However, I know certain material's properties are better suited to
>light weight, longevity and strength than others.  I'd never consider a
>polycarbonate body, but carbon fibre would get my attention.
>
>> I think we can all agree that most of the OMs built are of very high
>> quality or we wouldn't be here on this list. I think also that among us
>> there are folks who would like to see Olympus put some development into
>> future professional equipment and lament that they don't seem to have
>> any plans of doing so
>
>I lament not.  OM and Zuiko work.  I can stand shoulder to shoulder with
>wonderbricks and not give an inch.  I make no apologies for my OM's or
>non-Zuiko lenses.  My shots are just as good, sometimes better.  And it's
>just too much fun to work the pit lane with the 250 back and have guys stop
>and ask what those big ears are.  A full pit stop at 5 fps is something
I've