Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out w...
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 16:36:49 -0400
Mike Veglia of Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:>

...... But, when I am typically the only guy out
> there working on the wall of a race track shooting with "antiques" one
> has to think that most of the working professionals think differently.
> As long as the clients who publish and purchase my work like it (they
> could care less what I captured the images with...) I see no reason for
> change. If I had critical week to week publication assignments and
> deadlines I would think differently on equipment and prolly be using
> C*n*n.

I have made it a point to observe what the real pros (Sports Illustrated,
Winston Cup Scene, Associated Press, etc.) use at races (all NASCAR and
IHRA).  It's all Nikon and Canon.  Sometimes one notices my Oly gear and we
talk about them.  Universally there is a respect for the Olympus brand for
compactness, innovation, quality and ruggedness.  Many of these guys carry
hand-held meters and shoot in manual mode for both exposure and focus.  They
stake out positions and anticipate the "moment" - hard to do with subjects
at 160 MPH.  A small percentage, I'd guess around 10-15%, use older models
(Nikon F's or Canon F1's) that are all metal, heavy, very stout and *only*
manual.  No wonderbricks for them.  They tend to be the older guys (like me
<g>).

> In other words, I could care less what Olympus used for the body
> material so long as it holds up to the rigors of hard use in the field.
> What I would like to see is for them to continue to offer what is still
> one of the best internal metering systems available, continue to develop
> and add to this a high speed AF series of lenses and bodies. I don't see
> that happening anytime soon.

Agreed.  For as long as they do the job and/or can be repaired, OM works for
me.  However, I know certain material's properties are better suited to
light weight, longevity and strength than others.  I'd never consider a
polycarbonate body, but carbon fibre would get my attention.

> I think we can all agree that most of the OMs built are of very high
> quality or we wouldn't be here on this list. I think also that among us
> there are folks who would like to see Olympus put some development into
> future professional equipment and lament that they don't seem to have
> any plans of doing so

I lament not.  OM and Zuiko work.  I can stand shoulder to shoulder with
wonderbricks and not give an inch.  I make no apologies for my OM's or
non-Zuiko lenses.  My shots are just as good, sometimes better.  And it's
just too much fun to work the pit lane with the 250 back and have guys stop
and ask what those big ears are.  A full pit stop at 5 fps is something I've
never seen done by the latest wiz-bang wonderbricks <g>.  Just because the
OM line is not growing does not mean it is dead.