Re: [OM] lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] lenses
From: "claire" <clairetm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:58:54 +0800

>At 11:43 AM 9/29/99 -0400, "joey" wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have been happily snapping away with my 50mm/1.4 zuiko for a few
>>months now and I think I'd like to pick up a wide angle lense to
>>play around with.  I'm thinking of either 24mm or 28mm f/2.8 zuikos.
>>
>>I've heard that below about 28mm, significant distortion tends to occur
>>around image edges.  Is this something that is really a problem?  I'd
>>like to get as wide as possible, but I don't want to end up limiting
>>myself because everything looks funny through the 24mm lens... It doesn't
>>seem to me that it would be that much of an issue, but I'd appreciate
>>any comments anyone has.
>

>Well, I own a 28/2.0 Zuiko, and I've found that it's rapidly turning into
one of my all-time favorite lenses, and the single most-likely lens to be
mounted on my camera.  If the 2.8 version has the same noticeable lack of
distortion as the 2.0, I'd say go with the 28mm.  You only get 9 degrees
more viewing angle with the 24mm (84 for the 24mm versus 75 for the 28mm),
but there are some issues with rectilinear distortion that I found kind of
nasty.  By comparison, they're almost unnoticeable on the 28mm, and it's a
particularly good lens indoors in relatively tight spaces.

>Garth

Yup, I agree...  I took a series of pics with my 28/f2.0 of my cute daughter
on the sofa with various expressions....with T400CN , without flash... the
pics turn out  really nice....  I have the 24/f2.8 too but the lines can be
quite distracting if not careful..... I'd say buy the 28/f2 first.. cos its
a standard wide and a very competent piece of glass..... U won't regret it,
the 24/f2.8 can wait since its a little on the extreme side which means its
use would also be rather 'extreme'......
TMLee