RE: [OM] ADITL2

Subject: RE: [OM] ADITL2
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:23:51 +0200
Hi,

> First, I would hope no one feels restricted in any way... use
> extension tubes, filters, macro lenses or whatever;

Cool! The reason why I'm especially interested in doing a macro shot is that
it hasn't been all that long ago that I bought the 50/3.5, so I'd like to
use the ADITL event for giving it a decent test run. However, to be on "the
safe side" I also already took some pics with the 50/1.8, I should have the
results tomorrow, so we'll see...

> even a non-50mm lens if you don't have a 50mm.

Uuhhhhhhh, _any_ non-50mm lens or did you mean using a 50mm setting in one
of the zooms?!?
Either way, I have two 50mm primes, so no issue there.

> However, the reason I suggested this category in the first place is that
> I almost _never_ use a 50mm.  The reason is that the view through a 50mm
> always strikes me as too common, unexciting, etc.  But the problem I
> know is with me.  For some reason I don't know how to see the world as
> exciting through that piece of glass.

I can relate to that. For a long time (up until about a year ago) I took
almost every picture with the 50/1.8 or the 28/3.5, simply because I didn't
have any money for other lenses. Now my gear has expanded heavily, which is
good, as I now have lots more lenses, but it does present me at times with
the luxury-problem of not knowing exactly which lenses to carry in my camera
bag. The 50/1.8 is always one of the first lenses that gets removed from my
bag, as the focal range is covered by the 35-70/4 and, as you already stated
too, the view doesn't look spectacular. However, recently I've started using
it a lot more again, and that's purely because of it's bright viewfinder
image for indoor shots.

> So, although my own view of the world wants to be close-up on
> something, I'm hoping that many of you _don't_ use extension tubes, etc.

I'm very new to the realms of macro photography, but I have been thinking of
a neat idea of which I'm not sure it will work (nor do I know how to make it
work best). The idea I want to work out would involve the 50/3.5 and maybe
some slight extension (I guess doing a 1:1 shot should be more than
sufficient for my purposes, but I will probably try several amounts of
extension). I hope it will work out...

> I'm hoping to see lots of exciting pictures that just happen to be taken
> with just a 50mm lens. Maybe I will learn a little bit about viewing the
> world from that perspective.  That's why I suggested it.

I'm sure we'll see some great shots. Actually, a lot of my best shots have
been taken with the 50/1.8 (and the 28/3.5), so it can be done :)

To finalise matters, I'd like to state that I like the idea of doing a
"theme ADITL", I hope the next installment will indeed be a "bokeh edition",
so I can justify having bought that 100/2 lens (or alternatively it could be
a good reason for using the 135/2.8 for some shot) ;)

Cheers!
Olafo