Re: [OM] The Dreaded Fungi (and I *don't* mean "fun guy")

Subject: Re: [OM] The Dreaded Fungi (and I *don't* mean "fun guy")
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:22:07 -0600
At 05:15 PM 8/23/99 +0100, Alex Hughes wrote:

>Thanks for the tips Garth - and don't worry about the URL for the
>cartridges; my
>Girlfriend (P*n*t*x user!!) buys enough shoes to keep me in silica gel for
>life!!

Alex:

They probably won't help over the long run -- the problem with such "freebies"
is that they have no reliable way of telling when the silica gel's exhausted
and needs to be refreshed.  (In some cases, the adsorbent being used *isn't*
silica gel, but instead a hydrophilic compound that looks like shattered clay
pellets; this compound usually can't be recharged by heating it up, so it's a
one-shot product.)  Best try commercial solutions which have built-in
indicators.  My favorite products are available from Hydrosorbent Products at:

     http://www.dehumidify.com/index.html

They work quite well, and come with built-in indicators.  They're also
infinitely re-usable.  I've got five of their mid-sized cartridges.

Meanwhile, I took my beloved Zuiko 100mm F/2.0 into a local shop which says
it's a factory-authorized Olympus Service Centre, and was told I'd wait 2 to 3
weeks and would be charged between $100.00 and $180.00 Canadian (about $66.84
to $120.31 U.S. at today's interbank exchange rate).  Does this sound
reasonable?  To me, it's all dependent on whether the lens comes back pristine
-- if it does, I'm a happy camper, if not, I'll be ticked.  And I *really* hope
they don't clandestinely ship it away somewhere else -- I'll probably never see
it again, given the experiences of some of the people on this list who've been
forced to use Canadian service centres far away from where they live...

Garth