Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:10:41 -0700
Greg;

GPaul64@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 8/21/99 5:30:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

> >> I've not made up my mind how I'll carry the 350.  Option 1 is to put it
>  in it's hard case with a body and MD and 1.4x mounted.  Then put that in
>  my large hard sided suitcase and lock it and check it!
>
> Wow - that sounds risky.   Has this worked for you in the past?

No, never done it this way.  Why do **you** think is risky?

>  Option B is to put the lens in the backpack, leave it's hard case at
>  home and carry-on the backpack.  Yes it actually fits quite well, with
>  the body and MD and 1.4x attached, in the longish center compartment of
>  the big backpack.  (Fits also in my smaller 35mm pack & is actually
>  quite a (relatively) comfortable way to carry it around in the field.)
>  Option B requires only that I stuff the film, filters and ready-load
>  holder that would normally be in the center,  in another carry-on.
>  Option 1 is probably easier, but I just say a TV exposee showing baggage
>  handlers rummaging through passengers checked bags. I hate it when that
>  happens.
>
> That's great info on how one can carry around a beast like that  - thanks!
> Maybe there's yet another Zuiko to put on my acquisition list....

I have done this.  The lens w/body attached fits like I said quite
nicely in the long ceter compartment. I face the lens down.  I carried
it this way in my 'small' backpack, the Lowepro Photo Trekker, last
summer.  It worked great.  I was thinking of doing it a little different
this year to lighten the carryon load a little bit - the trekker with
the 350 inside was a little heavy for my 11 yr old girl (**just
kidding**). I've already cut down a bit by leaving the photo trekker and
taking instead a Tamrac shoulder bag 1/2 its size.

> I remember reading a story in Outdoor Photographer where George Lepp happened
> to be looking out the window of his plane and actually saw a member from the
> baggage crew walking away on the tarmac with his checked 400/2.8,
> illustrating why he never checks expensive lenses.   Disguising it inside
> other luggage may help, but I would hate to take chances with a coveted and
> rare lens like that 350.

I guess the only way anyone would know it's in there is via x-ray. I'd
never check anything that looks like expensive photo gear - if the
baggage handlers didn't get it, the rats hangin around the baggage
carousel would.
As I think about what else might be a problem if it's in my hard
suitcase, the only possible problem I see is the tossing and banging etc
may jar glass around a bit? I dunno.

> One more question - is the Super-Trekker small enough to be carry-on?

It barely makes the cut.  I've never been asked to shove it in the
carryon size checker box.  If I were, I may have to stand on it and jump
up and down, but I think it would fit!

> Thanks!

Thank you

george