Re: [OM] Introduction

Subject: Re: [OM] Introduction
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:04:55 -0400
Steve Nicholls wrote:

> I was told a  [possible urban legend] story about the owner of a new auto
> focus
> wiz bang plastic fantastic.
> He had just paid his money was admiring his purchase and dropped it about 2
> feet
> to the shop counter  it hit the glass on the base corner of the camera.
> Bong?!!!!!? One box of bits. I realise I'm possibly a crustacean or a dino
> but why
> would anyone give up all their beautiful Zuiko lenses for modern technology. I
> don't shoot birdlife, but I do shoot motorbikes and the fixed focal length
> lenses
> have suited me fine.

While the story you relate is possible, I think it is probably, as you
said, an urban legend.  Most of today's camera bodies are very durable.

The moving to today's AF camera systems goes beyond optic quality in
many cases.  In my case I went from a pair of OM-1 bodies to Canon EOS
because I wanted a longer lens than I had and was told that my OM-1md
was not repairable by Olympus, and that my OM-1n may or may not be
repairable.  I didn't want to spend money on glass that might be useless
to me at any time.  I didn't know about this forum five years ago.

Another reason I changed systems was that my Mom passed along one of her
ailments to me.  I have a touch of arthritis compounded by carpal tunnel
syndrome.  Keeping a 180 MPH + race car in focus is not something  I can
do overtime I want to.  With the Af system things are in focus.

Bob

--
                   //////
                  ( 0 0 )