Re: [OM] A Soft Answer Turneth Away Rays

Subject: Re: [OM] A Soft Answer Turneth Away Rays
From: "Jim Loudon" <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:39:32 PDT

Has any of you Zuiks ever seen real "scanner-induced"
fogging or other problems?

Just another random data point...

I've travelled through the Europe, the Middle East, and
east Asia from my home in the eastern USA, and have never
observed a problem.  I also try to get visual inspections
whenever possible, but I don't get hot and bothered about
it if I don't.  I'll also carry the film in a pocket if
I'm only carrying a roll or three (not often).

I just returned from my first trip to Kiev, which, being in
eastern Europe, is supposed to be a nation with "suspect"
xray machines at the airport (btw, the machines I saw at
Borispol were manufactured by EG&G and appeared to be of
fairly recent vintage -- so much for the "suspect" scanner
reputation).  As an experiment, I had some of my film
(Fuji 400, C-41 process) developed in Kiev before it hit
the scanners there, and the rest processed at my local
one-hour place here in the States.  No difference in base
fog levels, at least not to my naked eye.  Maybe it's time
to invest in that densitometer :-)

Oly content:  my Stylus mju-I was along for the ride.  The
OMs stayed home this time.

jim