Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)

Subject: Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 21:01:39 -0700
>We used to go over to Norton AFB in San Bernardino on Friday night just
>after dark to "watch" a large, dark object take off.  We could sit in
>our car in a parking lot just at the end of the runway.  We couldn't
>actually see it, just see that runway lights were blocked out as it
>rolled by.  The sound was unlike any jet I ever heard.

>We were always surprised they didn't run us off.

>Gregg Iverson

Still off topic,
        But I guess by the early to mid Eighties the SR-71 was not so
classified.  It became a regular fixture at the Norton Air show, both
static and flying.  The aircraft's maintenance crew would answer lots of
questions but much was still classified.  Somewhere buried away I have a
photo or two of the Bird doing a low level (100 feet or so) power up fly
by.  If I recall correctly there were 4 or 5 visible shock diamonds in
the exhaust plume even in full day light.  I will not soon forget that
even now 15 years later.
        By the way if anyone is going to March AFB to look at the bird there.
Its not even inside with the rest of the displays, its out in the front
parking lot.  But there are some pretty interesting planes inside as
well.
--
Mike Butler
Chief Mechanic / Engineer