Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)

Subject: Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:43:44 -0500
Acer Victoria wrote:

> Tomorrow or Wed (I'm waiting for the email from my friend--email me NOW,
> dammit!), depending on when JM is up for it. Plenty of pix will be put up
> on my page shortly thereafter. What causes the diamonds in the exhuast
> plume?
>
> /Acer Victoria

The shock diamonds indicate multiples of the speed of sound.  Five
diamonds would indicate an exhaust velocity of about Mach 5.  You'll see
the same thing in rocket exhaust.  Somewhere I have a picture of an
Honest John launch that shows shock diamonds, but its exhaust is not as
clear as a liquid fueled rocket or jet and the diamonds are not very
clear.

W. J. (Jerry) Liles