Re: [OM] eclipse ATC/was 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)

Subject: Re: [OM] eclipse ATC/was 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)
From: Gary Edwards <edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 05:27:18 -0500

Chris Barker wrote:

> ECLIPSE question: is anyone planning to take photos of the eclipse?  I
> don't think that I shall have the time.  Germany air traffic are going to
> declare the hour straddling the event "Night/IMC" so I shall have to stop
> this base flying from here to make it simple to control.
>
> Chris

In the late '70s there was a total solar eclipse south of Seattle.  We took off
work, loaded six of us in a Turbo 210, and launched early from Boeing Field.
Shortly after we got in the air, Seattle Center (Air Traffic Control) saturated
and denied any additional IFR takeoffs anywhere in the area.  A chartered
Boeing 720 with a full load of paying eclipse watchers was left stranded on the
ramp.  We orbited at 16000 feet above a solid overcast, between Mt. Rainier and
Mt. St. Helens (pre-eruption), on oxygen, and had a spectacular view of the
eclipse.  No one on the ground in that area saw it.  I've got the shots
somewhere.

OM Content: One of my friends brought a brand new OM-1 with him.
Unfortunately, this was the first time he had used it and he failed to get the
film leader properly engaged - no images!  (I think I may have posted this
story before, but the upcoming eclipse makes it relevant again).

Gary Edwards