Re: [OM] Leica jewelry OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica jewelry OT
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
<this msg is OT; sorry, this is third reply, and hence didn't have
Doris' email addy>

>>       a Mercedes E55 is transportation same as a Kia;

Oooh, /good/ taste! A limited edition version of the E-klasse, tuned by
Benz's high-performance partner AMG <G> However, the analogy might have
been better served by using the S600/750iL/LS400/Q45/3.5RL (altho the
last three don't seem to have the catchet of MB and BMW), or, Rolls-Royce
for that matter!

Also, not to flame, but the law of dimishing returns hits VERY hard after
a point; to play your cards, you certainly can't say a $5000 Rolex isn't
built to the same standards as the Audemars-Pigeut (probably butchered the
spelling), the base model of which costs a factor or so higher. Both
mechanical day/day movements, with no diamonds or gold or anything else.
Prestige and volume both come into play, neither of which can have
anything to do with the quality at the price point we're talking. Rados
and the Seiko "5s" are perhaps just as well built--I've seen ones in
families for generations.

/Acer "why do I know so much about watches?!" Victoria