Re: [OM] Re: [OT] - Acer

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] - Acer
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 17:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
The International Lyrics Server <http://www.lyrics.ch> was a private
enterprise set up by two fellows, who, with the help of fans around the
world, put up a database of songs searchable by lyrical excerpts for fans
so we could hear what the artist was saying. It was shut down by the Harry
Fox Agency for copyright infringement. The alternative to ILS was Lyrics
Head Quarter, which too has been shut down for the same reason. All these
sites wereput up by fans, for fans. HFA/National Music Publishers
Association (NMPA) thinks it's illegal. Dunno if all
the details are still on the ILS site, but check there. What you wish to
do is your choice--I just put this in my sig to get more people to hear
about it, having done this before for ILS with myriads of other people.
Sorry I didn't realize there's no info. As to the ads on the site, the URL
itself is different from that of LyricsHQ, which of course, is shut down
<http://www.lyricshq.com/>.
See <http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/music.html>, and the first three of
four sites should answer most questions. For detailed info, a deja search
on "ILS" "International Lyrics Server" as subject in alt.music.lyrics
should tell you all.
All this was for non-commercial reasons, sites had links to CD stores so
you could buy an album once you figures out who was singing it.
Thanks for visiting though. Any question, comments or further concerns to
email. Best,

/Acer Victoria
--
don't let Big Business be greedy; sign the petition @