35-70 zooms (was Re: [OM] PT subscriptions)

From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 19:25:58 -0500
On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 05:43:59PM -0600, michaeljohnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm interested in getting a 35-70 zoom; I'm sure you all have covered
> this ground before and might not want to again, but, if anyone wouldn't
> mind taking the time, I'd love to hear of peoples' impressions,
> experiences, and favorites among the various options. Thanks!

I only have the 35-70/3.6, the granddaddy of the Zuikos. It's one of the few
lenses I won't ever consider selling. I've got one portrait taken with it
(at 70mm), outside in the Oregon rainforest; nice soft light, good tight
cropping, great bokeh, gorgeous expression...if I'd only noticed the trees
in the background that wound up looking like they were growing out of the
subject's head. Argh. She still loves the pic, though.

(Word to the wise: Do not make your first trip into this particular
rainforest at night, along narrow twisty unfamiliar roads in a rented
Lincoln Continental, in the rain. Trust me on this one. It took me two hours
to unwind after arriving.)