Re: 35-70 zooms (was Re: [OM] PT subscriptions)

From: "Branko GT" <gjuro@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:18:46 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: Hans van Veluwen <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 1999 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: 35-70 zooms (was Re: [OM] PT subscriptions)

> Mike Johnston wrote:
>
> : I'm interested in getting a 35-70 zoom; I'm sure you all have covered
> : this ground before and might not want to again, but, if anyone wouldn't
> : mind taking the time, I'd love to hear of peoples' impressions,
> : experiences, and favorites among the various options. Thanks!
>
> I think the S Zuiko Auto-Zoom 35-70mm F3.5-4.5
> and maybe also the coSina Zuiko Auto-Zoom 35-70mm F3.5-4.8
> And then there is of course also the 35-80/F2.8. You must be willing to
spend a
> Hans van Veluwen

I would disagree with Hans in my personal preference.
I'd like to expand the scope of the question slightly and propose the
35-105/3.5-4.5 zoom. I've had 35-70F4 and 35-70F3.5-4.5 and found them less
then satisfying. The range is tad bit to short for my liking and the images
produced were nothing to write home about. It is not necessarily the lenses
but possibly me with those lenses. The 35-105 was not love on first sight
either but I've endured the peculiarity (rotating front element, bulk,
creeping zoom, variable aperture)(now that I look at the list I realise that
is pretty standard fare in zooms)  and I'm happy that I did. It turned out
to be most satisfying lens.
I like the way the images are rendered by this lens.
If you are looking for a short Zuiko zoom do yourself a favour and consider
this lens.
I have no idea how it compares to 35-80. Out of my league!

regards
branko turk

--SIG-- I'm the modestest man in the world!