Re: [OM] New lens tests posted

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests posted
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:57:23 EDT
Joel writes:

<< Wow!  Would you expect an analogous jump with the OM2000 behind the "Made
in Japan" version?  I'm looking at that amazing f4 result on the one tested
above?  I'm trying to interpret your last statement.  Looks to me like either
MC version is going to be a winner. >>

I'm just saying "No" to trying to determine if there is manufacturing
variation among the multicoated 50mm f/1.8 's, much less "body used"
differences.  The multiple 200mm f/4 tests were bad enough, although they
proved quite revealing.  That lesson should be extrapolated to other lenses,
too.  But if I find myself with a roll of film that has 7 extra frames to go,
I'll probably waste them on a different 50mm f/1.8 combo.

I'm rather disappointed with the f/1.8 to f/2.8 range performance in a
multi-coated 50mm f/1.8, though.  Seems a f/1.4 or f/1.2, for someone who
already has a 50mm f/2 Macro Zuiko, is the way to go.  But for an extremely
low budget, an OM-2000 with a 50mm f/1.8 MC and a tripod can give a careful
photographer  technically outstanding shots.  Can I be so bold as to suggest
there may not be a better bang for the buck in the current marketplace?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV