Re: [OM] New lens tests posted

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests posted
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:58:33 -0700
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx

Mike H. writes:
<< And what is it about the OM-2000 that improves this? >>

2. A vertical shutter with less travel distance.

I'm not sure there's any free lunch here. With a shorter travel distance, the acceleration/deceleration forces would necessarily be greater for a given shutter speed. I think the amount of energy released, which is free to cause sympathetic or harmonic vibration elsewhere, would be similar for similar masses.

It may be that the total mass (actually, moment of inertia) of the metal shutter is less than the cloth shutter mechanism, and that may be more important than the travel distance.

There is a lot of speculation on my part in these responses.  I'm hardly an
mechanical engineer.

Same here, but it's fun to speculate, no? :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229