[OM] Lens Choices for Travel

Subject: [OM] Lens Choices for Travel
From: Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 11:13:32 +1000
G'day

In April and May next year, I hope to take my first ( and maybe only)
overseas trip, accompanied by my wife & ten year old daughter.
 Unfortunately we have limited time (& money), and will have to fit UK and
Ireland into the first 4 weeks, and France, Switzerland, Germany (mainly
Bavaria), and Austria into the second 4 weeks.  I would appreciate any
comments/suggestions/advice from list members who have travelled in these
countries, or who are residents of these countries, regarding my choice of
equipment, as I expect I will encounter very different subject matter,
lighting and weather conditions to what I am used to in Australia. (At home
I concentrate mainly on nature/landscapes etc., and almost always use a
large tripod.  On the trip I will be hoping to capture the fantastic
architecture, interiors of the Cathedrals & other historic buildings,
Village, Town & City-scapes as well as the usual countryside & coastal
scenics.)  I would like to get my equipment choices right (obviously
without taking more than I can comfortably carry with all the other travel
necessities), as I will probably never have a second chance.

My plan at this stage is to take my OM-4 body, 21/3.5, 28/2, 40/2, 85/2 &
200/5, plus a light tripod with a small Manfrotto ball head fitted with a
Uni-Loc quick release mechanism.  These choices have been made to give a
reasonable choice of focal lengths plus a selection of fast lenses to
minimise the times I need to use the tripod.

Other options are:

- substitute my 35-70/3.5-4.5 for the 40/2. (sacrifice speed for
flexibility of composition)
- substitute a 70-210 (which I would have to buy) for the 200/5 ( no real
loss of speed but maybe greater flexibility?)
  (After reading Gary Reese's test of the Cosina made 70-210, it seems it
may be a reasonable choice for travel weighing only 355g. It is also
reasonably priced.  Only down side appears to be pronounced pin cushion
distortion at 135mm setting)
- substitute a 135/2.8 (which I would also have to buy and may be hard to
come by) plus my Kiron 1.5x TC for the 200/5  (gain in speed plus an
intermediate focal length, but sacrifice quality at 200mm when using the
1.5x TC)
- include my 35 shift  (may be useful for the architecture, but may not
really be wide enough for a lot of situations).  I would be prepared to lug
the extra weight of this lens if someone convinces me it will be really
useful.

Also any thoughts on film would be appreciated.  I am thinking of
standardising on 100 speed, perhaps Sensia 2 or Provia (or maybe the new
Provia 100F if it is released by then.)  If necessary I could rate the odd
roll at 200 and push process.  Many of the British landscapes I have seen
in the mags have been shot on Velvia. I don't particularly like this film
for Australian conditions - a bit over the top, but maybe I could be
convinced to take some.  (Problem is its slow speed, which may mean an
extra body - one for the Velvia and one for a higher speed GP film. This
would start to make my backpack very heavy.)

I plan on taking 2 filters - polarising (cir) & 81A.  Is a ND grad (Cokin
style) worth taking along? If so, can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't
give a colour cast? (The rather cheap one I have gives a noticeable magenta
cast.)

Finally, if any locals would like to e-mail me off list regarding
interesting or scenic places that are worth a visit, on or off the beaten
tourist track, that would be great.  (We will be travelling independently,
probably by car.)

Hope all of this is not too much for one query, or too OT for the list.

Regards
Ross Waite