RE: [OM] Reviewing an old thread

Subject: RE: [OM] Reviewing an old thread
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 21:26:35 +0800
Per wrote:

> also minimises over-exposure, while the Auto Colour-Balancing
> Flash detects the
> wavelength of fluorescent or other artificial lighting. The
> result is lifelike
> pictures that have an ideal colour balance free from an
> unnatural cast. There is also

I'd like to know how this works - how does the camera know the scene is
illuminated by fluorescent or tungsten lighting, perhaps it has an inbuilt
spectrometer.  What happens if you are photographing in a predominantly
green painted room, does it try to kill the green by flashing magenta, so
making the room look grey ?

Sounds like another case of the designers assuming they can build a camera
with more intelligence than the user.  I can imagine the logical extension
of this, first you point the camera at part of the subject you wish to
render as 18%, press a button to lock in the exposure, point the camera at
another part which you want to render as grey, press another button to lock
in the colour balance, point the camera at another part of the subject that
needs to be in focus, press another button to lock in the focus, recompose
the shot correctly, press the shutter release, wait for the internal flash
to charge, wait for the internal computer to compute everything it needs to,
wait for the adjustment of all the mechanical controls then the shutter
actually opens.  Meanwhile 990f subjects will have moved on (even the
landscapes have probably changed significantly - I don't remember that tree
being so big when I started framing the shot).

What amazes me is that the average P&S these days has more "modes" than the
few basic controls needed (shutter speed, aperture, focus), it is easier to
just adjust what you need for the shot rather than try to figure out what
mode you need to select.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/