Re: [OM] OM3Ti tops Contax RTS3 & Leica R8

Subject: Re: [OM] OM3Ti tops Contax RTS3 & Leica R8
From: gma <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:22:25 -0700

>Visit
>
>http://www.komvux.skola.mark.se/lug.htm
>
>for details,
>

>jh

Thanks, John, I did.  Here are a couple interesting finds:

Leica users show they're not TOO single-minded:
Dear Mark,
                >To me it is a positive the Olympus has not "developed" the OM
system
                >recently. I my opinion anything they would do would be a step
backward. The
                >system is fine and needs no further geegaws or "features."
                >Sincerely,
                >Joe Stephenson

                Most of the lens designs are from the 70's or early to mid
80's.  This is the
                MAIN area they should freshen up with new Aspheric designs.  A
high-eyepoint
                version of the OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti would be nice too.

                OK, end of OM thread.

                Mark Hammons

Leica user admits Olympus has something they don't:
Question2: As I understand it, the Olympus OM 3TI has a horizontal cloth
                focal plane shutter, not unlike the Leica-M. It too, has a slow
sync. Speed
                (1/60) when using normal flash. It also has the ability to
synchronise up
                to 1/2000 sec when used with the dedicated F-280 flash by using
the "Super
                FP (focal plane)" flash mode on the flash. Is it conceivable
that this
                unit, if used on the M-camera, could allow for higher sync.
Speeds and if
                not, surely Leica would have provided something similar with
their new
                flash just released?.--I realise that FP flash at faster
shutter speeds
                reduces the effective power of the flash considerably, but for
the purposes
                of slight fill-in, this would not be too much of a concern.
                As a working photojournalist, I too love the "available light"
of my
                photographs but there are times, particularly in high
contrasting light
                when fill-in flash is necessary, if the photo is too succeed.
Ideally a
                reflector of sorts could do the job, but all too often one does
not have
                the time nor the "eight" arms required to hold both camera and
reflector.
                Hence my predominant use of SLR cameras.
                I'd be interested in your thoughts, apologies if this query has
been
                discuss previously
                Thanks for your time
                Bruce Mercer

Comments, good and bad:
I think I've mentioned this before, but Eugene Richards shoots with a Cannon
                F1 and Olympus OM3, and uses the OM3 specifically for the 21
(isn't it 20?)
                f2 - an incredible lens....The olympus stuff is great...I
passed my OM 4
                system on to my art-student daughter when I went back to the
M...the
                metering system in the OM4 is without a doubt the best in a
non-autofocus
                camera - up to eight separate spot readings, which it will
average, etc.
                etc....the camera is small, light, relatively quiet, and the
lenses make
                even the new M lenses seem large.....BUT...the thing Olympus
never really
                learned was manufacturing reliability...In fact, when the OM-1
was
                introduced back in the early 70s, UPI went to Olympus....but
the damn things
                just wouldn't hold up to the daily grind and crunch, and that
was, for all
                intents and purposes, the death of Olympus as a PJ
system...which, given
                size, features, quality of lenses, etc., is really sad....

***
                I had an OM camera and lens.  The 50mm F1.4 is great.  Superb
sharpness
                easily equal, and I think better than Nikon.  Olympus put out
some
                outstanding lenses but never did make the grade when the world
moved to
                autofocus.
                Other nice lenses to get, the 21mm F2, 180mm F2.8.  Quality of
these lenses?
                WOW! is the best word to use.

And finally, a conspiracy theory (Tom Trottier, how much is Oly paying you? :>)

                At 02:45 24/02/99 +0100, Guido wrote :
                    >I'm also on the olympus list and I've recived this message
any
                comments about this?

                    >:Last month I bought an OM 4T body along with 28mm/f2.8, =
                50mm/f1.4,50mm/f1.8, 50mm/f3.5 [macro], and 100mm/f2.8 lenses.
They were =
                all second hand from an established camera dealer [which also
happens to =
                be an official outlet for Leica, Nikon, and Hasselblad] so I
felt =
                comfortable that I was dealing with a legitimate and reputable
source of =
                supply.I have been using a Leica M3 since 1965 and am M5 since
1987 =
                along with 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm Leitz lenses so know all
about =
                sharp and brilliant prints and slides.I have shot reels of Agfa
Optima =
                100 ISO, Fuji Reala 100 ISO, and Kodak Portra VC 160 ISO
through my OM =
                4T at a tropical plant conservatory in Vancouver using only
available =
                light coming through the domed glass roof. The outside weather
ranged =
                from bright sunlight in almost clear blue skies to cloud and
overcast =
                skies. The films were all processed at the same place. I have
the =
                following observations:
                    1. The sharpness and brilliance of the photos at all points
on the =
                prints using all fives lenses at varying speeds and apertures
was not =
                one iota less than I would have expected from my Leitz lenses.
There is =
                absolutely
                    no lack of the depth or 3D effect in these Olympus photos
and based =
                on this three film sample of experience I have to say that I
can not =
                imagine any more superior performance from anywhere else.
                    5. I am *absolutely* sold on my Olympus equipment [the
results are =
                every bit as good as those from the stuff made in Wetzlar or
whereever!] =
                as well as VC 160 film for flowers and foliage in conditions
like those =
                I experienced last week.
                    Let's hear it for Olympus.
                    #############

***********
                    I read some months ago in my newspaper Le Monde, the most
serious
                and respectable newspaper in France, an article on individuals
who are
                paid by companies in order to be "black" or "white knight" on
the web.It
                is a new form of economic war using disinformation.
                    By repeating and commenting these messages, we are innocent
                accomplices of these manipulations.

                    Dominique Pellissier

*************

Dominique,
                I don't doubt that there are "shills" on the web. But do you
have
                knowledge that the post regarding the OM equipment was not
someone's
                honest opinion? I use my Leica's most, but don't feel put out
if I have
                to use my OM-1 or OM-4n. They are fine cameras with a great
line of
                lenses. I prefer range finders. But unless you are totally
"Leica mad,"
                the value and quality of other brands must be acknowledged. And
I think
                very few viewers could sort out prints made with a 50 mm
Summicron
                ($900) and those made with a $40 Zuiko f1.8.0
                Sincerely,
                Joe Stephenson

George