Re: [OM] Zuiko 50mm f/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 50mm f/1.2
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:52:26 EDT
In a message dated 7/19/99 10:45:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
MHeath333@xxxxxxx writes:

> Sorry to start another 50mm thread.  I know this has been discussed in the
>  past, but I'm still unsure if most users consider the f/1.2 lens to be
worth

>  the substantial extra cost over the f/1.4 and f/1.8, and why.  Having not
>  found a used f/1.2, I may need to  shell out $350 for a new one.  The
> various
>  web-listed lens tests do not incontrovertibly place the f/1.2 on a higher
>  level resolution-wise, but some people have commented about less-
> quantifiable
>  variables (flavor, bokeh, etc.).  I want the best lens from wide-open to
>  f/5.6.

I own 50/1.8s (multiple copies, of course) and a 50/1.4. If you dont need the
speed, the 50/1.8 is probably the sharpest of the non-macro 50's. I
understand that the 50/1.2 (not the 55/1.2) is quite excellent as well. I
mostly use the 50/1.4 for indoor available light stuff, where the extra 2/3
stop comes in handy.

Have you considered the 50/2 macro? Probably the sharpest of the Zuiko 50's,
reasonably fast, much more versatile.

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island USA