Re: [OM] Zuiko 50mm f/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 50mm f/1.2
From: "Branko GT" <gjuro@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:34:36 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: <MHeath333@xxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 12:03 AM
Subject: [OM] Zuiko 50mm f/1.2

> Sorry to start another 50mm thread.  I know this has been discussed in the
> past, but I'm still unsure if most users consider the f/1.2 lens to be
worth
> the substantial extra cost over the f/1.4 and f/1.8, and why.  Having not
> found a used f/1.2, I may need to  shell out $350 for a new one.  The
various
> web-listed lens tests do not incontrovertibly place the f/1.2 on a higher
> level resolution-wise, but some people have commented about
less-quantifiable
> variables (flavor, bokeh, etc.).  I want the best lens from wide-open to
> f/5.6.

"onto the soapbox"

There is significant problem with your requirement being very unspecific.
What is wide open. Are comparing apples and oranges. There is 1-1/2 stop
speed difference between 50F1.2 and 50F2. You need to decide if the speed is
of importance to you.
Secondly you need to decide if you need lens for testing or image taking.
Most test are useful in uncovering "real dogs" (tm) but tell less then half
of the story about good lenses.
There are image rendering qualities of lenses that most test cannot reveal
and even if they do it is highly personal view.
There is also something to be said about synergy between the photographer
and the equipment. You need to like holding that lens and need to like the
look through the viewfinder with that lens. (I'm thinking, Doris would agree
here!)

"off the soapbox"

I have beaten-up 50F1.2 and just love it. The state it is in I suspect it
would not test too well.
For indoors, where the 50mm will do, there is nothing that touches this lens
on OM4ti + gg 2-4 or 2-13 . ( possibly the OM3 with the gg 2-13).
I'm particularly fond of the way this lens renders out-of-focus portions of
the image (a.k.a bokeh). Comparing this with the 50f3.5 macro which have
particularly ugly bokeh.
I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to you. It will have to be your
decision. They do come up s/h occasionally so it may be worth while a wait.
While you're waiting the 50f1.8 will do the job more then sufficiently.

Regards,
Branko

cheers
bgt

--SIG-- I'm the modestest man in the world!