[OM] New lens tests posted

Subject: [OM] New lens tests posted
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:41:39 EDT
For all the lens test junkies out there, I just posted at:

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

another round of lens testing.  This round includes the following lenses and
comments, all shot using mirror and aperture prefire (i.e., self-timer) on an
OM-2000:

70-210mm f/4.5~5.6 S Zuiko [made by Cosina]
A very light weight, petite, plastic barrel lens that doesn't seem to darken
the OM-2000 viewfinder at the telephoto end.  Mostly B SQF grades, with a few
A's at 70mm.

90mm f/2 Zuiko Macro
What a spectacular improvement over using it on an OM-1.  This one is new to
my arsenal and it blew me away when I looked at the f/2 image.  Yes, it
really is better than at f/2.8.  Simply the finest wide open image quality
I've ever seen in a Zuiko.  I suspect the weight makes it susceptable to
vibrations on an OM-1.

35-105mm f/3.5~4.5 Zuiko at 105mm
A retest to see if performance would increase at 105mm over an OM-1 - it does
across most apertures, making this an even nicer lens than I thought.  The
contrast was VERY HIGH.

200mm f/4 Zuiko MC
A retest to compare to the previous tests for vibration.  No significant
difference versus the OM-4 with Bogen Telephoto Lens Support [a vertical vs.
horizontal shutter comparison].

Re-tests of new samples [mine] of:
18mm f/3.5
28mm f/2 [still a gem!  My user grade sample shows that stopped down
performance isn't lacking vs. a 28mm f/2.8]

Re-tests of
135mm f/3.5 [OM-1 vs. OM-2000]
300mm f/4.5 [Bogen Telephoto Lens Support plus OM-2000 mirror and aperture
prefire, which makes for a slight improvement]

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV