[OM] My OM1 search and rescue mission.

Subject: [OM] My OM1 search and rescue mission.
From: "Chung, Stephen" <chungs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:31:15 +1000
Greetings Oly Faithful,

I'm sorry but I haven't been able to come with anything useful or
significant to post for so long except this load of nonsense.  All this
occurred on or abouts the second anniversary of the purchase of my first OM
camera - the OM1n.......

On that day,  right out of the blue,  I heard a voice....... which granted,
in normal circumstances is not so unusual, however on this occasion there
was no one else around.   Any way, this disembodied and prophetic sounding
voice says to me - "You will buy an Oh Em Onnnneee......... and a loaf of
bread TODAYYYYY!".

Now while pondering this prophetic and somewhat cryptic announcement, the
ol' memory banks turned over and spat out a timely reminder - Of course,
that morning as I was escaping out the door heading for work,  'She who must
be obeyed' bellowed out  "Stay away from those bl**dy camera stores....and
don't forget to buy some bread "

Hmmmm that didn't explain the first bit of the prophecy, though, after all,
I already have an OM1 - what am I supposed to do with another one eh?  At
which point, my nowadays Olyholic afflicted Common Sense made a rare
appearance and advised the following.... "Listen up bonehead, after having
your OM4 stolen, you vowed to never let your original OM1 leave the house,
remember?"

Ahhh now it makes sense,  My subconscious desire for an everyday user and
dare I say expendable,  OM body had come out of the closet and made its
presence felt, as most subconsious desires are prone to do you know .
Indeed this OM body shall employ totally manual operation and basic matched
needle light meter, so I can exercise my now formidable skill  at predicting
correct exposure,  and yes, it shall look like something the cat dragged in,
so as not to attract unwanted attention.  Now if that doesn't spell well
used and not afraid to show  it  Oh Em One, then please, somebody beat me
about the head with two wet fish.

So during lunch break and with my wife's first commandment regarding dem
bl**dy camera shops in mind, I  cruised the local Pawn shops instead, on an
OM1 search and rescue mission.  Immediately I was successful in locating
several tired looking OM1's, however these particular local Pawn shops hold
the OM1 in appropriately high esteem and charge accordingly.

Having insufficient funds I left empty handed and sadly turned my attention
to the second commandment and made a beeline to ye olde breadde shoppe - you
know the one next door to ye olde Camera shoppe and as if fate itself had
intervened, lo and behold, strike me lucky but preferably without using
fish,  there was another OM1 practically with my name written on it.
Actually it turned out not to be my name but some brutally indiscriminate
gouge marks on the viewfinder eyepeice which bear an uncanny resemblance to
my name, especially in backlit situations.  Yep this OM1 had seen better
days and I wanted it.

Without further ado I engaged hardline price haggle and scornful disbelief
mode, marched up to the ederly gentleman behind the counter, looked him in
the eye and said "How much is that OM1 in the window, ... the one with the
dents in the top cover??"   Well to cut a long story short,  I finally
closed the deal at less that half the price of what those Pawn ("Hi our
prices will knock the wind out of ya , unless you're the sort of person who
happens to like being beaten with two wet fish") shops were trying to get
away with.

Next I rushed my newly rescued and long suffering OM1 to the local Camera
Hospital with instructions to spare no expense in bringing OM1 back to full
health.  Two months down the track with a newly fitted petaprism to replaced
the fractured one,  I once again enjoyed the thrill of being a "New OM1"
owner.  Four rolls of film later (Konica Chrome, Provia, Astia and Velvia)
and I'm pleased to report everything is fine and dandy, my OM1 and I make a
great team.   So there you have it good Oly folk, prophecy fullfilled,
except in all the excitement that day, I forgot to get the bread..... dough!

Regards
S.C.
Melbourne, Australia

PS I'd like to thank Shutterbox in Camberwell for doing the comprehensive
service and fix on my OM1.  I'd also like to apologise to any fish lovers
for any perceived cruelty to  fish  comments.