Re: [OM] OM-4 question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 question
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 03:37:06 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-28 22:36:24 EDT, you, Jeff Bellin, write:

> A real if not stupid question;
>
>  I've seen a lot of talk about a problem with non-OM lenses and the OM-4
>  body. Something about a pin that can be broken? Is this a problem with
>  the OM-4t and the OM-3 also?

The OM3, OM4 and OM4T have a little plastic switch that acts as a memory
clear button so that if you have an exposure memorized, the act of changing
lens will cancel this and place the camera in normal operating condition,
i.e. center weighted exposure. The screw heads of certain third party lens
can scrape off this button. This is a problem with all OM4 and OM3 models.
Usually this occurs with older lens that did not follow the original Olympus
specs. (if they ever knew them). I know that some extension tubes, my Vivitar
Series 1 35-85, and some Tamron Adaptalls have this problem. You can notice
this if you make an erasable mark on the lens where the screws are and
another erasable mark where the reset button is and, as you carefully mount
the lens on the camera, you might notice that the screw heads and the reset
buttom might meet.  Don't go this far.  It can easily be remedied with some
epoxy. I tried hot glue but it didn't stick and so I used JB Weld (which now
looks like part of the mount.)

>  Also what are the main differences between the OM-4 and M-2s. I've heard
>  they have pretty much the same electronics. What did Olympus do to beef
>  up the OM-4?

I think that it is more the electronics that is different between the OM4 and
OM2s. The chassis are similar, however. (Or so I've heard.) They both have
averaging and spot meters but there the difference ends.  The sophisticated
electronics of the OM4 can memorize 8 different spot readings, average all of
these spots by itself, memorize any setting, automatically adjust for
highlight or shadow exposure, etc. The OM4 was an entirely new model so it
wasn't beefed up per se.  It is the OM4T that was "beefed up" with a titanium
outer shell and improved weather sealing. Some of the earlier (but rare)
electronics problems were also cleared up with the newer model.

>  Jeff Belllin
>  Newton. MA

Good luck and welcome to the list.

Warren