Re: [OM] Film speed was-mondomonopods and suppot

Subject: Re: [OM] Film speed was-mondomonopods and suppot
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:41:13 +0100
John Lind wrote

>When a film the nature of Velvia is run through the tests it comes out ISO
>50, however many who have done density and other measurements conclude an
>EI (exposure index) of 40 works better in actual use.  Apparently for some
>films, the ISO lab tests end up slightly off (in Velvia's case by 1/3 stop)
>from what provides a more balanced result in practical use.

FWIW, Ilford recommend a speed setting for their b/w films to give the
optimum results, and specifically state that this is *not* necessarily the
ISO speed.  For example, Delta 3200 has a recommended meter setting of
3200, but an ISO speed rating of 1000.  Quote the Ilford data sheet: "..the
exposure index recommended...is based on a practical evaluation of film
speed and is not based on foot speed as is the ISO standard."  Having used
Delta 3200, at 3200, I can vouch for its recommended speed rating.
Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England
rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx