Re: [OM] Film speed was-mondomonopods and suppot

Subject: Re: [OM] Film speed was-mondomonopods and suppot
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 20:32:20 +0100
Charlie L wrote

>>If you are shooting Velvia (probably at ISO 40)
>
>Could you all enlighten me as to why I see this so much.
>Rating film lower would add exposure.
>Now, I never used Velveeta, er, Velvia but
>with KR64 I usually get better color saturation
>with 1 stop under exposure.
>Isn't that the purpose of Velvia?  Saturation.
>And why 1/3 stop as a general rule?

I remember reading somewhere that K64 is best underexposed a little because
that adds saturation, whereas if you underexpose Velvia (and other E6
films) all that happens is that the shadows block up.  Blocked shadows is a
particular problem with Velvia, and I always err on the side of
overexposure when I use it, and normally set my meters to 40.  Sorry, I
forget the technicalities, but the article did state that underexposure
with Kodachrome vs E6 would give different results because of the film
technology.  You don't get the increased saturation with the E6 films.

>KR64 is usually good at 64 for shadow detail though.
>BTW,  I just got some test Kodacrome200 back and it is GRAINYYY.
>Can a lab process trannies poorly and add grain?
>Maybe too hot of a temperature at a shorter dev. time?

Nah, K200 is just plain grainy :-)  It's very sharp, and its colour
rendition is close to its slower cousins, but if you have areas of smooth
tone such as the grey skies England is famous for, you'll see coarse grain.

Cheers
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England