Re: [OM] Film speed was-mondomonopods and suppot

Subject: Re: [OM] Film speed was-mondomonopods and suppot
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:50:30 +0000
At 14:19 6/23/99 , Charlie pondered:
>Snip from Ron Crabtree,  (that's from not at)
>
>>If you are shooting Velvia (probably at ISO 40)
>
>Could you all enlighten me as to why I see this so much.
>Rating film lower would add exposure.
>Now, I never used Velveeta, er, Velvia but
>with KR64 I usually get better color saturation
>with 1 stop under exposure.
>Isn't that the purpose of Velvia?  Saturation.
>And why 1/3 stop as a general rule?
>
>KR64 is usually good at 64 for shadow detail though.
>BTW,  I just got some test Kodacrome200 back and it is GRAINYYY.
>Can a lab process trannies poorly and add grain?
>Maybe too hot of a temperature at a shorter dev. time?
>
>Charlie L.

Charlie,
I've seen a couple of the other replies.  I also have found Kodachrome 200
*grainy* and shoot mostly 64 with some 25.  The 64 seems to be a slight tad
warmer than the 25 . . . at least those are my subjective results.  I
believe the 200's graininess is related to its emulsion and how long it has
been around compared to most of the E-6 emulsions.  Kodak's newer E-6 stuff
uses the finer T-grain.  That said, whether you love it or hate it, *no*
other reversal has the color rendition of Kodachrome; it is unique.  Most
complaints I've heard are not about the lack of detail in shadow, but
flatter colors in deep shade or under heavy overcast compared to Kodak and
Fuji E-6's.

As to Velvia's ISO rating of 50 versus the convention of shooting it at 40,
I read a technical explanation of this a while back.  It has to do with how
the ISO speed of a film is measured.  This is done through a very
controlled and specific set of lab tests in accordance with ISO standards.
When a film the nature of Velvia is run through the tests it comes out ISO
50, however many who have done density and other measurements conclude an
EI (exposure index) of 40 works better in actual use.  Apparently for some
films, the ISO lab tests end up slightly off (in Velvia's case by 1/3 stop)
from what provides a more balanced result in practical use.  Some photogs
will talk about the EI they use for a film, which may be a little different
than its ISO speed rating.

BTW, Kodak is tooting its horn and beating its drum about their new
Elitechrome 100 Extra Color (pro version is E100VS; regular Elitechrome 100
= E100S).  This is undoubtedly geared to compete head-to-head with Fuji's
Velvia.  Kodak is making a special point in its advertising that its
"true" EI is 100 with slightly different color balance giving reasonable
skin tones.  It doesn't take much reading between the lines to realize they
are going after Velvia's two weak points:  skin tone and slow EI (by 1-1/3
stops compared to Kodak's new film).

-- John