Re: [OM] mondomonopods and suppot

Subject: Re: [OM] mondomonopods and suppot
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:17:40 -0700
>From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>IMHO, I would buy(and carry, UGHHH) the heaviest tripod you can afford.

But sometimes the most expensive tripod you can afford is not the heaviest!

Since I got a carbon fiber, I discovered that weight savings is NOT what
carbon fiber is all about. They are MUCH less subject to vibration. The
G1228 sits like a rock while a similar aluminum tripod vibrates like a
guitar string when you bump it!

Note that you can almost always add weight to a carbon tripod, but you
cannot remove weight from (or add stiffness to) an aluminum one. I put a
tripod apron on the Gitzo, and throw rocks in it if I feel the need for
more mass.

I found the G1228 on eBay together with Bogen's beefiest head for $525, and
subsequently sold the head for $125, so getting into carbon for about $400
is doable. Velbon now has a Gitzo copy that sells new for about that much
or less.

I realize Jeff wasn't looking to spend $400, but just wanted to take minor
exception to "heaviest is best" thinking.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229