Re: [OM] mondomonopods and suppot

Subject: Re: [OM] mondomonopods and suppot
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:53:50 -0600
Dear Jeff,

IMHO, I would buy(and carry, UGHHH) the heaviest tripod you can afford.
(The Manfrotto/Bogen 3021 is a favorite among many) After all, if it does
not give rock solid support for long exposures, then what good is it?  If
you are shooting Velvia (probably at ISO 40)under overcast skies and want
any decent depth of field, you will probably be shooting with fairly low
shutter speeds and thus a monopod will be less useful.  I personally love my
ballhead(with which I can make all adjustments with one hand and lever), but
a pan/tilt head is fine.  If you are going to shoot mainly landscapes, then
what is the hurry?  Spend your $$ on a heavy tripod and live with a slow
screw in mount.  I love my Bogen quick release plate, but I mainly use it to
switch bodies or lenses quickly for wildlife, which does not stay in one
place for very long!  As for pushing Velvia, the result are quite good, but
you will gain some grain.  Another alternative is the new Kodak ES100 VS(I
think that is what it is called), which I have not tried, but is said to
have Velvia's fine grain and color punch but with a true ISO of 100.  If you
use it, let me know how it compares to Velvia.  Have fun!!

Sincerely,

Ron Crabtree