Re: [OM] Looking for camera stoes in NY for 2nd handed Oly gear

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for camera stoes in NY for 2nd handed Oly gear
From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:33:01 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Terry Mair <tmair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, June 19, 1999 12:19 PM

>>Where is this one in Or. I will be there the first part of July?!
>>
>>Jan Steinman wrote:
>>>
>>>  If you visit
>>> Oregon, be sure to check out Camera World, where there's no sales tax.
>
>Camera World of Oregon is often cited (together with B&H) as one of the
>more reputable mail order sources. You can get their phone and exact
>location from their ads in all the photo mags or their web site. They are
>near Washington and 6th, downtown Portland. There is one hour of free
>parking at the Alder Street parking garage.
>
>Their marked store prices are higher than their mail order prices, but if
>you quote their mail order or web price, they will match it.
>
>If you need any other info, let me know. There's tons of photo ops in the
>Portland area. Let me know if you aren't aware of them!

My wife and I happened to be in Portland one day a few years ago on the way
home from the coast only to be met by crowds downtown, hanging out of
windows, crowding the bridges, everywhere there was a body. The city's
fleets of police cars, fire trucks, and ambulances looked to be on duty in
the downtown area. The weather was kind of misty and by 11am people were
saying it was getting close to the 1pm deadline. By 12:50pm the cloud
lifted. Across the top of a 20 storey downtown hotel was what looked like an
aircraft carrier's flat deck runway and at 12:55pm an early 1900's bi-plane
roared into life at full throttle, cleared the end of the runway high above
the crowded streets, and flew away towards the river. Some folks in the
crowd told us that it was feared that the flying machine would plunge into
the streets below ..... hence all the emergency vehicles.

Yes, Portland is really good for photo ops! ......... as well as having
possibly the biggest used book store in the Pacific northwest!

jh