[OM] Looking for camera stoes in NY for 2nd handed Oly gear

Subject: [OM] Looking for camera stoes in NY for 2nd handed Oly gear
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:10:29 -0700
>From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>

>...I just found out my father is
>going to New York city tomorrow to attend a 4 day conference. Can anyone
>recommend me some good stores for buying second handed Oly gear?

Be sure he checks out Ken Hansen Photographic, 509 Madison Av, 18th floor,
New York, 10022, +1 212/317-0934.

I did a grand tour of NYC used photo shops in March. Ken had the widest
selection of OM gear by far. I got a nice "9-" 24 shift from him for $875
at the time. Be prepared to talk him down on price -- the shift lens was
marked $1200! You'll do better if the shop is empty on a Monday morning.
(Many NYC shopkeepers will give their best deal to the first of the week.)
Tell him I sent you -- but don't tell him I said to dicker on price! :-)

Down side: whatever you buy in NYC will have 7.5ales tax added on. This
is disconcerting both to Europeans, who are used to VAT being included in
the price, and to Oregonians, where there is no sales tax. If you visit
Oregon, be sure to check out Camera World, where there's no sales tax.

I have no connection to either of these places except as a satisfied
customer. Happy shopping!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229