[OM] How to protect my Zuikos?

Subject: [OM] How to protect my Zuikos?
From: Jerry Stackhouse <jstack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 18:08:32 -0400
I've heard about fungus that can infect a lens but had never seen it unll
recently. I bought a parts body and the 50mm/1.8 that was attached to it
has a bad case of fungus. This has scared the heck out of me.

I live in New England where the humidity goes from real low to real high. I
keep my equipment in a dark case, in a dark camera bag, in a dark closet
(which cannot have wonderful ventilation simpy because it's a closet).

Anyways, since that poor 50mm has given me "religion", I need your advice.
I assume that you could put silica gel packets in the camera bag, but how
long do these things last before they stop absorbing. How can you tell if
they are good? I can get gel in a large container and put it in some sort
sock or something but would need to keep it fresh. Can't keep lenses in the
sun or dust would be a problem.

What do you do to store and protect lenses, bodies, and accessories?