Re: 200/4 vs 200/5 & tripod was: Re: [OM] enlargement

Subject: Re: 200/4 vs 200/5 & tripod was: Re: [OM] enlargement
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:45:29 -0400
Barry B. Bean wrote:

> I did make one concession to normal use by opting to
> shoot print film and judge results from 5X7 prints with a loupe,
> deciding that differences not apparent at this level weren't
> significant for my use.

Barry,

You're probably correct in using prints for your personal tests if that
is the format you use.

However, even high quality 5X7's are second-generation images subject to
all the vagaries of the printing process.  Sharpness, contrast and color
balance are all affected by printing, which can also impose unique
settings for adjacent frames, especially at minilabs.  The subtle
differences among lenses reveal themselves more fully on slide film.

If you do get around to another test with slides, I'd be very
interested.

Morgan Sparks