Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"

Subject: Re: [OM] "IDEAL OM OUTFITS"
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:40:53 -0500
At 08:00 AM 5/14/99 -0700, Mike you wrote:

>System #1 :  Weight 6 pounds (2.? Kilo) fits into a  Tundra Ruff Pack waist
>pack measuring 20 x 40 x 12 cm. and includes OM4t (old and battered but
>incredibly reliable), my favorite 24f2.8 Zuiko, 35-70 f/2.8 Tokina ATX,
>65-200 f/4 Zuiko (thanks to Gary Schloss), and about dozen rolls of Fuji
>Sensia 100.

Hi Mike,

You mention what the other systems are "for:"  since this one has your
OM-4T, is it your most "serious" system?  Or just your "OM-4T system":  the
lenses you want to have with that body?

>System #2 :  Weight 6 pounds, my wild flower outfit, fits into a Tamrac
>waist pack measuring 15 x 30 x 15 cm. includes:  OM1n, 50 f1.4 Zuiko
>(optional), 50 f/3.5 Zuiko macro, 90 f/2.5 Tamron Macro, Winder 2, plain
>matte screen and 12 rolls of Fuji sensia 100 or Velvia.

Curious as to why optionally you like to carry the 50/1.4 with this rig.

>System #3 :  Weight 7.5 pounds, an all purpose zoom outfit: Olympus OM-G
>(nice bright viewfinder), Tamron 28-135 f/4-4.5, Tamron 60-300 f3.8-5.6,
>Tamron SP 2X tele-converter, room for 12 rolls of film.

When is this system preferable over system #1?  Do you choose it when you
want to use the lenses for some reason and the bright viewfinder of the
OM-G is a good match (as you mention below)?

>Most of my current photography revolves around landscape documentation;
>repeat photography; the vanishing American Rural Scene; portraits of
>artists, muscians, dancers; theater and dance production, studio, and
>rehearsal photography (usually B&W, sometimes difficult lighting);
>wildflowers; and jewelry, gems, rocks specimens, fossils and
>photomicrography.
>
>I would appreciate comments from the members, and hope that the systems I
>have assembled might be usuable examples for those who are pondering what
>to assemble next or even where to start.  The OM4t metering system is 2nd
>to none in its capablilities; the OM1n is great for macro and
>photomicrography, and astronomical photography;  the OM-G is light, quick,
>handy, bright (great for slower lenses).
>
>Best Wishes to all, have a great photography summer/winter and
>you are all invited to come to WYOMING for the spectacular
>spring wildflower show in the mountains and plains from now
>through August (depending on elevation)

Wish I could come so bad I can taste it.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA