Re: [OM] Shutter Shudders Revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter Shudders Revisited
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:37:39 EDT
Tomoko writes:

> I tried to look up your lens test site to double-check, but I did not have
> URL
>  handy to do this.

Some of the authors of our existing Olympus related sites have provided a
link.  It is also searchable via WWW search engines.  For reference, it's:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

>  I distinctly remember the use of a 1-8 screen in your description of the
> test results with the 200mm/4/5 along with a Varimagni finder.

You have better recall than I.  I guess I was using the 1-8 with a
Varimagnifinder by that time.

>  What I really wanted to have is an explanation of how you set up the test
>  including the subject to the camera distance and what you meant by having
> 1:45 (the number may be wrong since I am going by memory) magnification.
>  How did you achieve this magnification?

You get that by photographing a 60" wide object full frame, no matter what
the lens.  I simply tape the map to a wall, or when shooting in a storage
unit, tape it across the doorway.

>  When I was doing my own test using a newspaper page taped on a foamcore
> board set against the sandstone wall by my driveway, I noticed that as I was
> using the minimal focusing distance of the 200mm/4/5, the focusing was very
> critical.

Yup.  Someone less so at 1:45, but I still strive to be as accurate as
possible in focusing.

The problem I see with testing at around 1:10 is that it isn't the typical
magnification range used in normal shooting.  1:45 is, if shooting vertical,
a full frame of a human.  It seems more of a balance between infinity and
close-focus range.  In another words, if one is to limit themselves to
testing at one magnification ratio, a middle one seems best.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV