[OM] Shutter Shudders Revisited

Subject: [OM] Shutter Shudders Revisited
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 21:20:32 -0500
Oly Shooters:

I have some further information about shutter shudders. Some may recall my
posting results of tests with laser pencil, 200/f4, and both OM-1 and
OM-2S, with and without supplementary telephoto lens support.

I shot half a roll of Agfa RSX-50 with the OM-2S and OM-1 with and without
telephoto lens support. Also with each camera some of the shots were in
natural light and some were with flash.  For all but one set of comparisons
the subject was a striped orchid.

Under the 50/1.8 loupe, I simply cannot tell the difference between the
OM-1 and OM-2S shots or between those shots where I used telephoto lens
support and those where I didn't.  I would be happy to scan the slides and
put them out on my web site, but not only will jpgs of 72 ppi not show
stuff this subtle, my 2700 ppi film scanner will not scan stuff this subtle.

As for the lens itself, the natural light shots appear to be every bit as
sharp as the flash shots.  Once again I used the Bogen (Manfrotto) 3221
tripod and the 3030 head.

I used quite a bit of extension for the main shots. I don't believe this
should have any bearing on the relative sharpness of the exposures, but it
did make for some very long exposures, perhaps minimizing the impact of any
shutter shudder.  So I set up one final shot with only about 21mm extension
out of doors that required a 1/4 sec/f22 exposure. I shot this with OM-1,
with and without extra support.  The shots are sharp.  I believe that I can
say that the shot with lens support *could* be sharper than the one
without. I've gone back and forth, even using the 28/2.8 loupe.  I'm not
really sure it's actually sharper.  BTW this shot is a vertical.

I guess I would have to conclude that OM-1 shutter shudders are mostly an
irrelevant curiosity.  The 200/f4 may not be the greatest lens of all time,
but having nothing else to compare it to among this last batch of slides,
it sure looks good to me.  The 3221 is an awfully good tripod too (it's my
newest piece of equipment among the lot).

I'm sorry if my previous posts caused anyone to doubt the mother of all
OM's. I doubted myself, but no more.

Joel