Re: [OM] Shutter Shudders Revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter Shudders Revisited
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:09:00 -0400
Gary Reese wrote:
>I wrote :
>> I would like to see Gary R.'s test setup redescribed so >that some of us who
> >have equipment might replicate the test with a better focusing screen.
>I was likely using a huge Bogen and large Bogen pan/tilt head with the legs
>unextended.  I didn't support the lens itself until I added the
>teleconverter.  Then I propped up the hood with the head of a smaller Bogen.
>Mirror was locked up in both cases.  Shutter speeds ranged from 1 sec. (f/64
>effective) through 1/125 (f/4).  The focusing screen was probably a 1-13,
>since I don't think I had a 1-8 at that point.

I tried to look up your lens test site to double-check, but I did not have a URL
handy to do this.

I distinctly remember the use of a 1-8 screen in your description of the test
results with the 200mm/4/5 along with a Varimagni finder.

What I really wanted to have is an explanation of how you set up the test
including the subject to the camera distance and what you meant by having a 1:45
(the number may be wrong since I am going by memory) magnification.  How did you
achieve this magnification?

When I was doing my own test using a newspaper page taped on a foamcore board
set against the sandstone wall by my driveway, I noticed that as I was using the
minimal focusing distance of the 200mm/4/5, the focusing was very critical.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/