Re: [OM] OM4T's can't swim!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T's can't swim!
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 01:11:37 -0800
John Gardner wrote:

>while walking through a Polish forest, my OM4Ti, MD2 and 50/3.5 macro
>were thrown from my shoulder and hurtled into the swamp. OM4 is dead :(
>
>It is insured so I will be offered a brand new OM4Ti. My big dilema
>is whether to stick with Oly or not. [...] My head says to bail out,
>but my heart says otherwise.  Why oh why are we so loyal?

Well, I must admit that the thought had crossed my mind too, and since
I have access to quite a bit of competing equipment (mostly 35mm), the
switch would be relatively easy.

However, I really _do_ love my OM-4, and so I'll have to keep it.  Same
goes for my OM-2n, which was my first ever SLR, and so I'm gonna have
to hang on to it as a sentimental favorite.  The OM-1n is a true classic,
and is also the perfect backup -- at a modest cost, so I guess I'll keep
it too.

Then, there is my non-MD OM-1, which one day may be kissed by a princess
(well, actually by a forgerer :-)), and become the ultra-collectible M-1.
And it is certainly unwise to get rid of my truly mint OM-2S, which is
one of the lowest production OM bodies.  Same is true about the OM-F (I
mean, low production).  Besides, my OM-F only works in manual mode
anyway, so who would buy it from me?  I guess I'm stuck with that one.

Now, what about my _very_ clean OM-1n and OM-2n "black bodies"?  With
time, won't they become far more valuable?  And if I'm gonna keep all
these different bodies, what sense does it make to get rid of my fine
Zuikos?

See?  The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that switching
wholesale to a different system is a bad, bad idea...  oops, the phone
rings.  What?!  Someone's dumping his/her primo OM gear at rockbottom
prices??  Who??  Where???  Oops, sooo sorry, I must run.  Ta ta, guys.
:-) :-)

Zuikoholically,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA