Re: [OM] OM4T's can't swim!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T's can't swim!
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:18:00 -0400
JohnGardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>However, at the end of the first week,
>while walking through Bielawezia (sp?) forest, the board >walk collapsed and
>I went through into the swamp. My OM4Ti, MD2 and 50mm >f/3.5 macro were
>thrown from my shoulder and hurtled into the swamp. I >rescued it pretty
>quickly as it lay on top of the mud but water had got into >every nook and
>cranny and the motor drive was shorting out like a maniac. >I've dried it all
>off and the MD2 appears to work again (at least the little >LCD display has
>returned) but the OM4 is still playing dead :(
>I'm sending it off for an autopsy and it is covered under the
>insurance so I will be offered a brand spanking new OM4Ti. >My big dilema
>will be whether to stick with Oly or not. Maybe this will be >the time I
>should get out (I already use a N*k*n F4 & F5 plus 500mm >f/4 AFS and 300mm
>f/2.8) but I keep thinking of my beloved macro gear; the 50, >80 & 90mm
>lenses, twin flashes, ring flashes, zoom extension tubes and >of course my
>18mm f/3.5. Oh, then there's the 35mm f/2 and the >remarkable 28mm f/2. My
>head says to bail out, but my heart says to stick with Zuiko >glass.
John,

Your post above reminds me of two things.

I have had an experience of falling into the muddy water along with my M-1 and
probably the 50mm/1.8.  I had the body cleaned in Tokyo several years ago, which
is why my M-1 looks in such a good condition (you can have a look on my Home
page.)

I read a feature article in the April issue of "Cameraman", a Japanese photo
magazine, on a 29-year-old young man who does bird photography as you do.  He
obtained photography training after high school but chose to take a day job, but
has been shooting the birds since his high school days.  The only connection he
has with Olympus is that he had his first photo exhibition at the Olympus
Gallery in 1997.  He uses Canon, specifically, 3 bodies of the T90, only two
lenses, FD 500mm/4.5 and  50mm/1.8, a 2X teleconverter and a tripod.  He is
convinced that that is all he needs.

I was impressed with the degree of his focus and concentration.  I tend to be
interested in several different things including photography and like to try new
equipment. I wish I could be more focused as this young man appears to be.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/