RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4

Subject: RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 10:50:38 -0500
At 11:43 PM 4/30/99 -0400, Tomoko commented on Gary's 200/4-5 test:
>>Nearly impossible to focus even with a Varimagnifinder and a >1-8 screen.
>
>The last two sentences made me want to test my 200mm f/5 as for the focusing
>problem with a 2X teleconverter.  My 200mm is probably single-coated
(without MC
>designation nor green reflection).  I put my Kenko 2X converter and put the
>200mm on to see how well I could focus with a 2-4 screen in my OM-4.  In room
>light at night, I was able to focus without any problem.  My setting and
Gary's
>might differ, but I have a problem with his statement.

Tomoko,

I've been testing my 200/f4 with 36mm extension and flash for some macro
work. I'm not done with this yet, but I have seen some results with this
combination (flash illuminated) which are nice and sharp.  I made
painstaking efforts to get sharp focus with 1-13 screen using the
split-image feature, which is not always easy to do with this lens but can
nevertheless be done.

I am starting to conclude that less-than-satisfactorily sharp pictures with
this lens are a result of  1) difficulty with focus using 1-series screens,
or 2) some sort of shutter resonance/tripod instability/unanticipated cause
of movement), or  3) both.

I have used the 200/4 with Zuiko 2X TC-A and, as Gary indicated, found it
nearly impossible to focus.  Your comments make me suspect I now have a use
for the 2-series screens.

In addition to the 2-4 screen, do you also have the 2-13 screen and can you
focus the 200 + TC combination without the split image partially blacking out?

Joel