RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4

Subject: RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 17:47:17 -0400
Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>At 11:43 PM 4/30/99 -0400, Tomoko commented on Gary's >200/4-5 test:
>>>Nearly impossible to focus even with a Varimagnifinder and a >1-8 screen.
>>
>>The last two sentences made me want to test my 200mm >>f/5 as for the focusing
>>problem with a 2X teleconverter. I put my Kenko 2X >>converter and put the
>>200mm on to see how well I could focus with a 2-4 screen >in my OM-4.  In room
>>light at night, I was able to focus without any problem.  >
>
>I have used the 200/4 with Zuiko 2X TC-A and, as Gary >indicated, found it
>nearly impossible to focus.  Your comments make me >suspect I now have a use
>for the 2-series screens.
>In addition to the 2-4 screen, do you also have the 2-13 >screen and can you
>focus the 200 + TC combination without the split image >partially blacking out?

I don't have the 2-13 screen, but the screen in my OM2000 is pretty bright and
has a split-image circle in the center.  Therefore I compared the focusing ease
with the 200/4/5 plus my Kenko 2X on the 2000 and on the OM-4 with the 2-4
screen. (The 200mm/4 is a borrowed lens from a friend.  The timing of my request
was perfect since she was going away for a week and was not taking her OM-2!  A
couple of things came out right this week!)

The split-image focusing screen on the 2000 does blacken at times depending on
the amount of light.  This afternoon in Baltimore the sun has disappeared, so
the condition is less than ideal.  The amount of blackening depends on the
amount of light and how close the whole area is in focus.   The other thing I
noticed when I was hand-holding was that it was awfully difficult to steady the
area you were aiming at particularly with the 200mm/4 plus the TC.

When I put the combo on my Bogen tripod (a heavy one), I noticed that the lens
was not steady, more so with the f4 because of its weight.

Now when I used my OM-4 (BTW I have a 4T, but it has a Beattie screen at the
moment, I did not use the 4T for this experiment), the focusing was considerably
easier with either of the two lenses with the TC.   The f4 was somewhat
brighter, perhaps, but I find that the f5 was easy enough to focus with the 2-4
screen.

The steadiness of the lens with the OM-4 was slightly better probably because
the OM-4 is heavier than the OM2000.  However, I think if one is to test the
sharpness of the image with any lens, the whole thing has to be rock-steady.
Otherwise the test results would not be reliable.

At the moment I don't own a long-lens support (200-300mm range), so it is
useless to test the combo further.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/