Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica lenses?
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:01:06 EDT
Doris writes:

> Like I said I hate this business. Use whatever aids & abets
>  your vision. Everything else is just tech-noise (the sound of
>  testosterone dripping!).

I think the words of Paul Young speak well here.  He has his personal tests
of Canon FD lenses posted on the WWW.  His motivation really mirrors mine.  I
quote:

"I feel that decently done testing or evaluation is a useful guide for;

 1.  Determining which lenses may be most desirable for you to purchase.
 2.  Evaluating a prospective purchase lens to see if it is as good as can be
expected.
 3.  Knowing what performance to expect from your FD lenses.
 4.  Checking out and comparing your own lenses to see if they're working
well.
 5.  Determining the optimum aperture to use a lens at for best image
quality."

My postscript:
1. If in this process he and I get results that are useful to other people,
then its "iceing on the cake."
2.  As a photographer with dueling technical and artistic sides, I find
myself going through phases in which I'll get real active on the technical
side and then real active on the artistic side.  It is kind of interesting
how I migrate from one to another.  I just go with the flow these days.  I've
been to both extremes over the time I've subscribed to the list.  I suspect
what I'm learning now on the technical side is going to make my artistic
output in the future all the better because the knowledge will "just be
there."  I won't have to think it out in the midst of shooting something.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV