Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko vs. Leica lenses?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:06:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:
<A very well thought-out list of the pros of testing>

 As I have remarked in public before, I
love reading your test results, have saved them all, and have
 thanked you openly for all the hard work you have done, and how
graciously you have shared it with us. All of
the reasons listed are perfectly rational, analytical reasons for
lens testing.
  Most people pick up a system without a clue as to whether it
will work on their behalf, neutrally, or against them. My advice,
and it will sound crazy, is to try to shoot as wide a variety of
equipment as you can.  (Rent, borrow, buy used) Soon, you will
 notice that some lenses are inordinately productive (this
 may be due to focal length), in terms of image quantity &
 quality --- in your hands. By image  quality I do not mean the Grail of
sharpness, but quality that synergizes with our own individual vision. At
that point, go read what the tests say about those particular lenses.
You'll notice similarities in certain characteristics. This will give you
the best clue as to what other lenses might work best for you, and it is
in this sense that tests make the most sense to me. Your mileage may vary.
   To just grab a system, and buy lenses because they test "sharp",
is to work blindly, in denial of one's own vision...

                      I hope this makes more sense...
                             *= Doris Fang =*