Re: [OM] New to the list, and a lens question

Subject: Re: [OM] New to the list, and a lens question
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:45:10 -0500
>> Then I saw the prices.  Ouch.  I could go for a Vivitar that has
>> more zoom range for half the price.  So the question is, "Are the Zuikos
>> worth the extra money?"

Rule #1:  The lens you have is better than any lens you do not have.

Rule #2:  If the lens meets your requirements (functionality and quality),
then get it--regardless of brand.

Are Zuikos worth the extra money?  Depends.  In the primes (non-zoom) I'd
give the nod towards the Zuikos in almost every case, but in zooms, I'd
suggest that many of the brand-x lenses are as good if not better.  My
Tokina ATX 35-70/2.8 zoom (oh, shut up Ken) is as good as any zoom out
there--even though it takes three Sherpas to carry it.

The older, all metal and glass, tanks of the 70's and early 80's I'd
generally run from, but most everything built in the last 10 years is of
pretty good quality and should be adequate to start with.

Ken (going into momentary exile for rule #2) Norton

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx
(515) 791-2306