[OM] New to the list, and a lens question

Subject: [OM] New to the list, and a lens question
From: Sean Mattingly <matting@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:20:23 +0200 (MET DST)
  Greetings,

    I am new to this list and have lurked for all of one day, so this
may be an annoying repeat question (I did at least look for a FAQ for
this list).

    I own an OM-4T (champagne,1988) with a 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko lens.
I previously owned an OM-2S with a Vivitar 35-210(?) lens, but it
was stolen out of my parent's car back in high school...the insurance
money for both the lens and the body, along with a little more input
from me got me up to the 4T.  Both the 2S and 4T have served me very
well, and I am an avowed OM lover.  I have used other people's Nikons
and Minoltas and just not liked them.  I often end up using a "snappy-cam"
on my more active vacation-type trips (skiing, rock climbing, etc)
because I'm afraid of loosing/damaging my 4T and the difference in
picture quality still astounds me.  You get what you pay for...

  Anyway, I have had a recent revival of interest in photography
(latest results seem encouraging, if you care to view or comment, they can
be found at http://porter.desy.de/~matting/photos.html) and I am looking to
get a longer lens.

    My initial feeling is that I would like a zoom that covers everything
from wide-angle to mid- or even long-telephoto (like I had in high school).
I have read enough raves about Zuiko lenses to be wanting to go in the
Zuiko direction, and the one Zuiko lens that comes close to what I was
thinking I wanted is the 35-105mm.  The 35-70mm Zuikos are also tempting.

    Then I saw the prices.  Ouch.  I could go for a Vivitar that has
more zoom range for half the price.  So the question is, "Are the Zuikos
worth the extra money?"  This is, of course, a very difficult question
to answer, and I am no doubt asking a biased audience.  I'm asking
anyway.  :)  Are there places out there on the web or elsewhere that I
can look at the same picture taken with a non-Zuiko and a Zuiko lens
side-by-side?  What are your experiences?

  Thanks for your commentary,
--
Sean Mattingly                      |   What is, is
----------------------              |   What is not is possible