Re: [OM] SC vs MC: The Green Reflection Test

Subject: Re: [OM] SC vs MC: The Green Reflection Test
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:41:32 +0200
Ken Norton wrote:

> The fact remains that our lowly SC Zuikos are still multicoated.  Just not
> with the numbers and fancy colors of the MC lenses.  If you look at any
> Zuiko SC lens you will see more than just yellow.  I know that in a few
> instances (24/2.8) there is a huge performance difference between the SC
> and MC versions, but the later SC versions of the 50/1.4 and the MC
> versions are nearly identical, with the exception of a stray color or two.

As I have been reading these lines and other emails in this subject, I cannot
help but think of another possibility of the different colors of multicoatings.

Is it not possible that the UV rays and time (age) may change the very thin
layers of any coating - MC or CS?
What I mean is that the UV rays change and effect things that are exposed to
these rays, and almost everything get effected by UV rays - many chemicals do
change in one way or another.

Also as mentioned, there are a possibility that the formula of the coating has
changed over time. I talked to a guy at Tura Nord here in Sweden (Tura Nord are
the general agent of Hoya filters in Sweden), and this guy thought that the
coatings could look different depending on who actually made it.
Also, this guy said that there are several layers that makes the coating,
between three and six, depending of the quality, and that there are a top layer
that has no effect to the actual anti reflex but do help while cleaning the
surface. He said that the coating itself is rather rough, but this top layer
makes it smooth to clean the glass.
Perhaps it is this top layer that changes or has been changed, and that is why
the coatings looks different?

So, any comments on this?

--
Regards/